Sunday 25 October 2015

Rubya turns designer: 'A girl’s just trying to make the most of her youth'

An actor, a model and a singer, Rubya Chaudhry is adding 'designer' to her sizable list of credentials.
She hinted the same on Instagram several moons ago, posting a picture of a lace duster jacket that will be part of her first collection:
Her clothing line is in collaboration with the Patiher label, a Karachi-based line that does bridals and formal wear.

Images talks to Rubya about her latest venture:

Images: You're an actor, a model, a singer, and now a designer. You seem bent on exploring a different creative field ever so often... So what has inspired you to design your own clothing line?
Rubya Chaudhry: Being a dreamer and sufficiently popular has its benefits, and a girl’s just trying to make the most of her youth. Being a singer, actor and a model all have to do with performance-related art, which, to me, aren’t very different from one another. I honestly don’t know what my reason for existence would be if I weren’t always at it; something or the other that excites me, challenges me, makes me feel alive. And yes, all the things I take on, do precisely that.
As a model, there came a time when I started hating dressing up. I’m still pretty laid back when it comes to styling myself…but I get bouts of excitement and go all out on occasion. What that period did to me was give me a new perspective on my personal style. It was a part of growing up, and it changed the way I felt about fashion. It gave me an individualistic approach, made me put my heart first. It made me comfortable and courageous.
In all honesty, I’m my own inspiration for this line; the thinker, the wanderer, the little girl that I’ll always be, the woman that I am. And I’m lucky to have Supria Rehman partnering me in my madness. She’s a qualified fashion designer with an already running, successful brand called Patiher. All I want is fun, effortless fashion; pieces that I would happily wear myself, and use as much organic fabric as possible to stitch them. So far, I’ve had nothing but fun creating designs and choosing colors and fabric…it’s like I’ll envision anything and Supria will make it happen. Quite magical. Images: Could you tell us more about your partner label? Patiher appears to be a new label that's primarily focused on bridals and formal wear.
Rubya: Patiher was established about 8 years ago by Supria Rehman. Her designs are a manifestation of rich fabrics, textures and patchwork embellishments. A lot of her work speaks volumes of our glorious heritage; inspired by the architecture of Moen-jo-Daro and Harappa civilizations. Patiher does smart casual wear as well. She has an eye for impeccable workmanship and original ideas to put that craft in order. Supria’s support is invaluable to me.
Images: Will this be a one-off collection for your friend's label or do you plan to keep designing?
Rubya: It’ll be under the house of Patiher, but a separate label altogether. The prospect of being well-received is very exciting, of course. We do plan on expanding with time. Images: Is your first collection still in the design phase, or ready to begin production? Do you have a name for the collection?
Rubya: We’re launching it online for now, mainly on Instagram; open for orders and appointments. The brand is called ‘Children of Spring’. Now just waiting on the tags to arrive!
Images: How would you describe the collection?
Rubya: So far, we’ve done western casuals, with pieces that you can style, however you like, to make your own. It’s for the woman that loves to explore, live, wander, and ultimately, be true to herself. Cute, sexy, comfy, and restricted to no age group. Sometimes crazy, and impulsive, but not losing sight of wearability, comfort and trend.

No comments:

Post a Comment